Ok, you can say it. This post is long, long overdue. One of the facts of life in the blogging world is that if you want search engine traffic, you want your posts and blog to be Search Engine Optimized (SEO). So how do we do that? How exactly do we optimize our posts for search engines to find them and then drive traffic to them?
1) One way is to optimize your old posts with keywords that are already bringing people in to view them. Below is a great video I found on how to do this. Just remember that search engines don't like posts that are just stuffed with keywords. Your posts need to be well written and interesting. Just a list of keywords in the article will hurt your page rankings.
2) Make use of the 'Labels' function and Google's Keyword tool
When you write a post it's important to label it with relevant keywords. For instance, this post would be appropriately labeled with keywords like Post SEO, and other terms like it. Using the Google Keyword Tool will help you look at what keywords related to your post that people are searching out, how many people are searching for those words, and how much competition your website will have for those keywords. The goal with the keyword tool is to use keywords with high searches and low competition.
3) Use keywords in your post title
Here's some good tips for making a title for your post:
- Make it short
- Make it interesting
- Make it relavent to the post content
- Try to use keywords from the Google Keyword Tool in your post title
4) Interlink Your Blog Posts
We've talked about this before. You need to link to your other blog posts within your blog posts if they're relevant to each other. Not only this, but you should be linking to other relevant content online that is not on your blog.
5) Optimize your post images.
Another great article I want you to see is all about optimizing your images. The truth is, you can get a lot of traffic from people searching for images on Google Images. But they won't just come to your blog if you upload images without making them searchable. Check out DIY Themes' post on image optimization HERE.
By doing these five things you can help to optimize your posts and help search engines drive targeted traffic right to it.
Do you use these techniques to optimize your blog posts? Are there other techniques you use? Let us know in an comment blow! Don't forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Blogger so you don't miss out on other great SEO tips!